Research Validates the Benefits of Mindfulness-Based Interventions
The documented benefits of meditation are plentiful. We recommend visiting the following resources for specific published research:
- The Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society
- American Mindfulness Research Association
- Kabat-Zinn, Jon:
- Full Catastrophe Living, Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness. Kabat-Zinn, Jon, Delacorte Press, 1999
- Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditations in Everyday Life. Hyperion, 1994
- Coming to Our Senses, Healing Ourselves and the World Through Mindfulness. Hyperion, 2005
- The Mindful Way Through Depression – Freeing Yourself From Chronic Unhappiness.
- Mindfulness for Beginners, Sounds True, Inc., 2012
- Santorelli, Saki: Heal Thyself, Lessons on Mindfulness in Medicine. Bell Tower, New York, NY, 1999
- Smalley, Susan and Winston, Diana: Fully Present the Science, Art & Practice of Mindfulness, Da Capa Press, 2010
- Stahl, Bob and Millstine, Wendy: Calming the Rush of Panic: An MBSR Guide to Freeing Yourself From Panic Attacks and Living a Vital Life, New Harbinger Publications, Inc., 2013
- Stahl, Bob and Goldstein, Elisha: A Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Workbook, New Harbinger Publications, Inc. 2010
- Boyce, Barry, Editor: The Mindfulness Revolution, Shambhala Publications 2011
- Chosen Bays, Jan , Mindful Eating: A Guide to Rediscovering a Healthy and Joyful Relationship with Food, Shambhala Publications, Inc., 2009
- Bell, Charlotte: Yoga for Meditators, Publishers Group West 2012
- Bell, Charlotte: Mindful Yoga, Mindful Life, Rodmell Press, Berkeley, California, 2007
Mindfulness in Education:
- Everybody Present: Mindfulness in Education by Nikolaj & Didde Flor Rotne, Parallax Press, Berkeley, California, 2013
- Learning To Breathe: A Research-based Approach to Mindfulness for Adolescents: http://www.learning2breathe.org.
- The Still Quiet Place: http://www.stillquietplace.com
- Mindful Schools: Integrating Mindifulness Into Education: http://www.mindfulschools.org
- Inward Bound Mindfulness Education “iBme”: http://www.ibme.info
- Child’s Mind: Mindfulness Practices to Help Our Children be more Focused, Calm, and Relaxed by Christopher Williams, Parallax Press, 2010
- Mindfulness in Teaching and Learning, Irene McHenry and Richard Brady, Editors
- A Settled Mind: Stress Reduction for the Classroom and Beyond, Kimberly Post Rowe, Five Seeds Publshers, 2007
Mindfulness in Psychotherapy:
- Trauma-Sensitive Mindfulness: Practices for Safe and Transformative Healing by David A. Treleaven. W.W. Norton & Company, 2018
- The Art and Science of Mindfulness: Integrating Mindfulness Into Psychology and the Helping Professions, Shauna L. Shapiro and Linda E. Carlson, American Psychological Association, 2009
- Mindfulness-Oriented Recovery Enhancement for Addiction, Stress, and Pain, Eric Garland, Ph.D., NASW Press
- Mindfulness & Psychotherapy, 2nd Edition, C. Germer, R. Siegel, P. Fulton, Guilford Press, NY & London, New York, 2013
- The Mindfulness-Based Emotional Balance Workbook by Margaret Cullen & Gonzalo Brito Pons, New Harbinger Publications, California, 2015
- The ACT Practitioner’s Guide to the Science of Compassion by D. Tirch, B. Schoendorff, L. Silberstein, New Harbinger Publications, California, 2014
- Mindsight: The New Science of Personal Transformation by Daniel Siegel, Bantam Books, 2011
Mindfulness in Parenting:
- The Conscious Parent by Shefali Tsabary, Namaste Publishing, Vancouver, 2014
- Everyday Blessings: the Inner Work of Mindful Parenting by Myla & Jon Kabat-Zinn, Hachette Books, 1998
Mindfulness and Compassion:
- The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion by Christopher Germer, Guilford Press, New York & London, 2009
- Self-Compassion the Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself by Kristin Neff, HarperCollins, 2011
- Loving-Kindness the Revolutionary Art of Happiness by Sharon Salzburg, Shambhala, Boston & London, 2002
- The Places that Scare You: A Guide to Fearlessness in Difficult Times by Pema Chodron, Shambhala, Boston, 2002
- The Center for Mindful Self-Compassion: http://centerformsc.org
- Stanford School of Medicine’s Center for Compassion & Altruism Research and Education: http://ccare.stanford.edu
Mindfulness Audio Files:
- Saki Santorelli: The Healing Practice of Mindfulness, MP3 CD Audiobook, Order from Amazon.com
- Jon Kabat Zinn: See a complete list of audio CDs on Amazon.com.
- Bob Stahl: Mindful Healing Audio Series
- Free: University of Utah Mindfulness Clinic: http://counselingcenter.utah.edu/services/mindfulness.php
- Free: UCLA Mindfulnss Awareness Research Center: http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22
- Free: Tara Brach, PhD: http://www.tarabrach.com
- Insight Meditation Timer: This is a very useful app that helps you to time your meditation sessions. You can also track your progress and connect with other meditators all over the world if you like.
- Headspace: This is an excellent app that helps to demystify the practice of mindfulness, offering step-by-step instruction, funny animation to illustrate key practices, etc. Check out the October 2015 Radio West/Doug Fabrizio interview with creator, Andy Puddicombe.
- Mindfulness: Very straightforward and especially helpful for beginners. Cost is $1.99.
- Stop, Breathe, and Think: Another recently released mindfulness app. This one is FREE and feels appropriate for adolescents and adults.
Local Meditation Groups:
- Metta Mindfulness + Meditation Center: Founded by Becca Peters.
- MBSR - Mindfulness Meditation Group: Meets every Tuesday evening from 7:15-8:30 at the Mindful Yoga Collective.
- True Mountain Sangha - Thich Nhat Hanh: firstname.lastname@example.org. This group is currently meeting at the Tea Grotto on 900 South and 400 East until they find a permanent home. Contact: Josh Hill.
- Shambhala Meditation Group - Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche: Contact: Jeff Fink. Find them on FB under "Salt Lake City Shambhala/Park City Meditation." In Salt Lake, they meet at Vitalize Studio.
- Lower Lights Sangha: Founded by Thomas McKonkie.
- Two Arrows Zen: Founded by Diane Musho Hamilton Sensei and Michael Mugaku Zimmerman Sensei.
- Urgyen Sampten Ling: Founded by Lama Thupten Dorje Gyaltsen (Jerry Gardner) and Jean LaSarre Gardner.
- Katog Jana Ling: Khentrul Lodrö T'hayé Rinpoche.
- Insight Meditation Society, Barre, MA, USA
- Spirit Rock, Woodacre, CA, USA
- Insight Meditation Community of Washington, Cabin John, MD, USA
- Southern Dharma, Hot Springs, NC, USA
- Vipassana Meditation Centers (U.S. and Canada)
- Boundless Way Zen, Worcester, MA, USA
- San Francisco Zen Center, San Francisco, CA, USA
- Zen Center of San Diego, San Diego, CA, USA
- Zen Community of Oregon, Clatskanie, OR, USA
- Karme Choling, Barnet, VT, USA
- Shambhala Mountain Center, Red Feather Lakes, Colorado, USA
- Gaia House, Devon, England
- Vipassana Meditation Centers (worldwide)
- Dharma Retreats, Toronto, Canada
This list of retreat centers is not meant to be exclusive or complete. The intention and format of the retreat you choose, and the background of the teacher, is more important than the name of the retreat center. This list is the same offered by the Center for Mindfulness at UMASS for those interested in MBSR and other mindfulness-based training programs.